[vox] Tax-prep software on Linux

Dave Margolis vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:35:44 -0800 (PST)

This isn't exactly a Linux product, but the Web version of Turbo-Tax works
just fine in Netscape 7.x for Linux (and thus, should work fine in Mozilla
or any of it's other relatives).

It is my personal opinion that turbotax.com is the most user-friendly,
robust, and shockingly thorough Web application I've ever had the honor
to use.

It was free the year before last, and very reasonable last year
($20-$30?).  If your taxes are more complicated (home owner, landlord, own
your own business, etc.) you may have to pay a little more to use
their service as they have several versions of the online experience.

For me, renter, husband, father with not much else to claim, it was really
easy to use the _basic_ version.

You can skip around to any part of the several hundred steps, save
your progress at any time (something that is really missing
from a lot of online apps), and you can log back in and reprint PDFs of
your previous tax returns, or even change things you might have messed up
(in case the IRS comes looking for you).

There are a few questions it asks you that you may not know the answers
to (I admit I guessed once or twice, bad), but otherwise it couldn't be
eaiser.

The only catch: a third party has just about every possible bit of
information about and your family members floating around in a database
somewhere.

Dave M.