[vox] neverwinter nights

Bryan Richter vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:09:50 -0800

Hello,

My friend and I have spent the last few hours trying to play Neverwinter
Nights. We tried on his computer for a while, then moved to mine. We
both run Debian unstable. After getting past the first few holdups, such
as making sure /tmp had at least 1GB of space during the install, we
finally got into the game. However, after generating a character (or
selecting a prebuilt one), the game flashes a black screen, then drops
us back to X. There are no messages on the terminal. We're about to give
up, so I thought I'd ask to see if anyone plays this game, and their
thoughts on the matter.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce II MX400 with the latest NVIDIA kernel module. I
have tried with Linux v. 2.6.0test9 and 2.4.22 (vanilla). Um, what
else.. I run X in 1280X1024, and we tried depths 16 and 24. My brain is
fried so I can't think what else might be important. :-P

I will note that I'm sort of asking this of people who have already
installed the game, since it would be a lot of work to describe how it's
done. We referenced three different websites and, like I said, have been
at it for hours.

Thanks,

-Bryan
and David

p.s. to Dr. Matloff: by "play Neverwinter Nights" I mean "study for my
final tomorrow".