[vox] KDE and Gnome wars...

Dave Margolis vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:56:31 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a OSS project out there which is attempting
> to address this issue? In other words, bring the management issues into
> a single application?  What would even work is if there is a project to
> redo Open Office's widgets to be Gnome-gtk or KDE.  Kinda like the
> relationship between Galeon and Mozilla.

I believe this is what RedHat is trying to attempt to do one one level
with Bluecurve. The problem with both of this alternative is that
with easy, centralized customization, uniform look-and-feel, and
user-friendliness comes a big loss of CHOICE and a bit of confusion over
what is what and what goes where. On my machine I run KDE, but I've got
the whole host of GTK libs and Motif (Lesstif) stuff so that everything
will run.  With all this maddness of Desktop Managers and Windowing
Environments I get a whole lot of choice...

My suggestion is to look into .gtkrc-2.0.  You can put some basic font
definitions in this file and not have to ever fire up a Gnome app.  In
fact, I don't have a single piece of Gnome on my box, just gtk-lib,
gtk-pixmap, and glib - along with some font tweaks in .gtkrc-2.0 (but
you can do a lot more with this file than just font stuff).  Check the
documents on http://developer.gnome.org/ for more info...

KDE also has an option in it's control center "Apply colors to non-kde
apps".  I don't really know what effect that has.

Gnome users looking to do the reverse - make KDE apps behave a little more
like their Gnome apps can investigate .gtkrc-kde (I THINK...I have never
been a Gnome user so I don't know much about that, but my understanding is
that is what that config file is for).