[vox] KDE and Gnome wars...

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:38:06 -0800

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 10:46:30AM -0800, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:
> However, I do like Konqueror as a file manager.

I just learned a KILLED trick with Konqueror last night.
(It requires the apt-get install'ation of a small package under Debian
to enable the support.)

Pop in your favorite music CD, fire up Konq, and in the address bar, type
the following URL:

  audiocd:/

What will appear is a set of audio track icons, as well as virtual folders
containing WAV files you can drag and drop, sorted by track order, or by
song name (oh yeah, it tries to connect to CDDB to get track and artist
info, by the way ;) )

There's even an "Ogg Vorbis" folder.  Go in there, and drag-n-drop the
files onto your hard disk, and you've just ripped your entire CD to Ogg!!!

(Of course, it does all this on the fly, and there obviously are NOT
such directories on your audio CD ;^) )

Thinking about it, this would actually be quite cool to have as
a /mnt mount point.  But, I think it's really just a KIO thingy, so you
can only see this from Konqueror (and probably other KDE apps,
though I haven't tried.)

Actually, though, I WAS able to play a WAV using XMMS, so IT somehow
saw the same thing Konq was inventing for me.  Hrm... I guess I need to
investigate this feature some more. :)

<snip>
> Does anyone know if there is a OSS project out there which is attempting
> to address this issue? In other words, bring the management issues into
> a single application?  What would even work is if there is a project to
> redo Open Office's widgets to be Gnome-gtk or KDE.  Kinda like the
> relationship between Galeon and Mozilla.

Not theme-related, but apparently KOffice is switching to the "OASIS"
file format used by OpenOffice.org.  They'll also have input in the way
it works for the kinds of files OpenOffice.org can't create, but
KOffice can. (e.g., more than just Word Processing, Presentation,
Spreadsheet and Drawing)

> If this OSS project does not yet exist, are there folks out there that
> might be interested in working to start one?

Eep :^(