[vox] LTSP & software for schools - Workshop on Sept. 20th, Cirtus Heights

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 01:10:35 -0700

I thought I'd pass along a very cool-sounding workshop being put on by
the folks at RoseLUG in late September.  (It also sounds perfect for
our new friends at the Grant Joint Union High School District, so I'm
encouraging them to go, too!)

  "The Roseville Linux Users Group will be holding another of its monthly
  workshops on September 20th, 2003. The topic is: LTSP and software for
  schools, presented by Ray Dias."

    http://www.roselug.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=46

It continues:

  "This workshop will be held at the Wellspring school, 7233 Sunrise Blvd.,
  Citrus Heights, CA. (the school is just south of Oak Ave. on Sunrise Blvd.

  Some notes from Ray:
  I wanted to share my idea''s on the Linux software for schools idea we
  passed around last night. Feed back is always welcomed. Here is what I had
  in mind:

    1. Show how Linux Terminal Server software can breath new life into old
       computers.

    2. Show various software packages that can enhance the educational
       experience for both students and teachers.

         1. Groupware software for staff collaboration
         2. Open Office
         3. Instant messaging (for staff communication)
         4. Online presentation software
         5. Online test taking to evaluate student needs and to challenge
            advanced students.
         6. Games to re-enforce skills

  We can discuss time availability and what we should cover. I have a
  Linux Terminal Server demo server and dumb terminal that I use for
  demonstrations that we could use. I look forward to discussing the
  possibilities for this workshop and others to come.

  The workshop is tentatively scheduled to start at 10am. All participants
  are invited to bring a laptop, as our workshops are frequently hands-on.
  If you are interested in attending, please RSVP by September 18th.

  For more information or to RSVP, please contact: rsvp (at) roselug.org"

I've posted this to LUGOD's event calendar, and will also be e-mailing
the folks at SacLUG, Chico State LUG and CVALE (Modesto/Stockton). :^)

-bill!
pr@lugod.org