[vox] [OT] Slammer knocked out nuclear plant safety monitoring system

Rod Roark vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:12:59 -0700

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 04:34 pm, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 07:18:43PM -0400, Rob Rogers wrote:
> > I just read this article this morning...The most interesting part I
> > though was they assumed they were safe because they had a firewall, but
> > it came in through a non-firewalled entrance. They had an T1 going from
> > an outside contrator's site to a point on their network that was behind
> > their firewall. The lesson to be learned here is, just because you trust
> > someone else, doesn't mean you can trust their network. :)
>
> Yeah, it's interesting...  Every time a huge virus comes out, I overhear
> the warnings "Don't open any files unless they come from someone you know!"
>
> Well, (1) if the virus took over your friend's computer, that blows that
> out of the water.  (2) if the virus is simply SPOOFING your 'trusted'
> friend's e-mail address, it blows it out of the water AGAIN.
>
> I guess it comes down to:  don't open files.  Unplug your computer.
> Put it in a safe.  Bury yourself underground.

You forgot "or use Linux".  ;-)

I think what we need is a collection of government-sponsored
virii that encrypt your hard drive.  You can get the key if
you pay a fine for polluting the Net with worm food.

-- Rod