[vox] [OT] Slammer knocked out nuclear plant safety monitoring system

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:20:03 -0700

On the heels of last week's east coast black-out and MS Blaster worm
comes an interesting news story about how the Slammer worm took out part
of an internal network at a nuclear power plant in Ohio, back in January.

  http://securityfocus.com/news/6767

    "The Slammer worm penetrated a private computer network at Ohio's
    Davis-Besse nuclear power plant in January and disabled a safety
    monitoring system for nearly five hours, despite a belief by plant
    personnel that the network was protected by a firewall... According to
    the reports, plant computer engineers hadn't installed the patch for the
    MS-SQL vulnerability that Slammer exploited. In fact, they didn't know
    there was a patch, which Microsoft released six months before Slammer
    struck."

This was submitted to me for addition to the "Reasons to Avoid Microsoft"
page.  I also decied it was worthy of submitting to Slashdot.
(*cough* Karma whore *cough*)

Enjoy,

bill@newbreedsoftware.com                    Was I useful?  Rate this message!
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill  http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=billkendrick