[vox] Network at the Library!

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:21:07 -0700

Well, last night's talk on Affero really could have benefited with
network access.  Otherwise, it would've been all talk, and a couple of
signs Chris puts up in his booth at conferences.

So, we asked the Library if there was ANY way we could get network.
Along with giving us some phoneline, and suggesting we try connecting to a
dial-up, they said that the ethernet jack in the front of the room _might_
be configured, since they seemed to remember other people using the 'net
in there.

Well, we plugged in a little cable (swag from LinuxWorld, in fact)
and voila! - we were on the 'net!

I'll be talking to Jay to find out whether this means we can just use it
from now on.  I think at the worst, we'll just need to tell them
"yes, we'll be using network at this meeting" ahead of time.

(To answer the obvious question - yes, we did ask about network back when
we first started meeting there.  It sounded like it'd be impossible without
being 'sanctified' by the county.  It looks like the Blanchard Room might be
an exception!)

-bill!
root@lugod.org