[vox] Default Linux installation on HP d220

Robert G. Scofield vox@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:16:16 -0700

On Sunday 17 August 2003 02:46 pm, David Margolis wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Cons:
> 1. Mandrake 9.1 - Mandrake is a good Desktop choice, but it seems most
> users are going to format and reinstall their favorite flavor anyway.  Then
> again, not too many _experienced_ Linux users would buy a preconfigured PC
> anyway. Mandrake has a very helpful hardware-detecting installer,

Right, but Mandrake is already installed.

 and lots
> of equally useful userland tools, so given that, maybe Mandrake is the best
> choice for this target audience?

Absolutely.  I think Mandrake would be the choice of a Debian user who was in
the business of trying to sell desktops to a non-geek public.  The Mandrake
Control Center is nice.

In some ways I have a lot of respect for Mandrake because in my opinion it is
the only distro that seems aimed at the ordinary computer user who is
interested in a desktop other than Windows.  That's why I've used it.  I'm
switching to SuSE though because of problems I've had with the OS, and
customer "service."  I feel bad about switching.

Bob