[vox] Linux mention in FoxTrot comic strip

Micah J. Cowan vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:11:14 -0700

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 01:40:06PM -0700, David Margolis wrote:
> http://www.ucomics.com/foxtrot/
>
> just the comic:
> http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ft/2003/ft030814.gif
>
> This comic isn't really tech oriented or anything, so I thought this was
> interesting...check it out.

I'd have to disagree with you here. While it is not *specifically*
tech oriented, it has frequently referenced Linux, UNIX and other
"tech" subjects in strips featuring Jason Fox. Even, more than once,
to the point where only a tech could possibly understand the joke. For
example (my two very favorite Fox Trot strips):

  2002-02-25

  Jason Fox's iFruity: "I have Unix underpinnings! I have Unix
                        underpinnings!"
  Jason:               "Big deal." (pulls down pants)
  iFruity:             "Unix underpants?!?"
  Jason (reading the front of his briefs):
                       "'chmod 0700', baby!"

  The second strip loses too much in the translation, but was a large
  panel filled with Java code, followed by a panel in which his
  frustrated and very groggy father points out that this wasn't what
  he meant when he asked for some "java".

-Micah