[vox] Survey question - self-harvesting our lists for someone else?

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:57:24 -0700

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 09:57:22AM -0700, Marc Elliot Hall wrote:
> I hate to take a cavalier attitude about people's privacy; but it seems
> to me that given the precautions you've outlined, nobody can
> legitimately complain after being given a couple of weeks to opt-out of
> the survey pool.

Knowing you personally, Marc, I'm happy to see you feel this way.
(in other words, I know you're especially concerned about privacy issues
and spam and the like, so it's good that you think the plans are
reasonable)

> This is a mailing list, after all, to which basically
> anyone can subscribe and contribute on-topic posts. Open Source research
> is de facto on-topic.

Hehehe... :)

<snip>
> On the other hand, you may want to set up some way for mailing list
> subscribers to express their preferences about participating in
> "official" research projects so that in the future this is a non-issue.

As Rod said, it looks like we need a 'privacy policy' stated on the website.
Of course, we'll need to get people to agree to it all (always a daunting
task).  No doubt, some people will decide they don't like what we end up
compromising on, and leave the list.

I would actually like to hold off on any actual planning for at least a
month or so.  Partly because I'm quite busy lately, but mainly because
it makes absolutely NO sense not to be able to include Pete Salzman,
our current mailing list admin, in the discussion! :)

He'll be on his way to the east coast starting _tomorrow_, I believe,
and will no doubt need a few weeks to get settled in, and relax for
a while...

Thanks for all the feedback, folks.  Keep it up!  Even if you'd rather
post something to me privately, please let me know your feelings.
(If you DO send something privately, let me know if it's alright to
quote your post, sans attributes, to the VOX public mailing list, or
our private officers discussion list...)

Thx again,

-bill!
(gotsta run!)