[vox] password stolen at linuxworld

Peter Jay Salzman vox@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 08:36:49 -0700

On Sun 10 Aug 03,  8:30 AM, Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> said:
> On Sun 10 Aug 03,  8:14 AM, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> said:
> >On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 04:26:57AM -0700, Ryan Castellucci wrote:
> >>
> >> Someone at linux world seems to have gotten ahold of my ssh user password
> >> from when I used it at linuxworld.
> ><snip>
> >>
> >> I suspect that my password was either sholder surfed (unlikely, it'd be hard
> >> to memorize....) or someone was runnning man-in-the-middle attacks, and
> >> forced an SSHv1 session to prevent a warning, simply prompting for a new key.
> >
> > Ouch!  Is this something any of the rest of us LWE volunteer folks need to
> > worry about?  (I logged into my sonic account numerous times from LWE;
> > mostly from Melissa's laptop,
>
> then probably.
>
> > but also occasionally from other people's
> > laptops, I _think_...  it's all such a blur)
>
> then DEFINITELY.
>
> ssh isn't a panacea for security.  it's ONLY as secure as the system on
> which you use it.  and you should trust it only as far as you trust the
> the system you're using it on.
>
> pete

ack.  i didn't mean to be an alarmist.  i didn't mean your DEFINITELY
hacked.  i meant you definitely want to be on the lookout.  debian has a
package that looks for common rootkits.  also, pay attention to outside
connections, log files, do a search for "..." and "pfloyd", and look in
/dev.  black hat hackers love to hide files in /dev.

pete