[vox] [OT] Solaris, Oracle, and other painful subjects

Tim Riley vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 01 Aug 2003 19:47:40 -0700

Richard Crawford wrote:

> Now that we have successfully upgraded our website from WindowsNT/IIS to
> Solaris9/Apache, we're facing the much more daunting task of upgrading our
> database from MS-SQL Server 2000 in WindowsNT to Oracle9i on Solaris 9.

Good news!

> Has anyone out there done something like this?

Export MS-SQL tables to delimited files, then use Oracle's sqlload to import
them.

You'll have load problems if there are any characters
in any of the tables that are the delimiter character. So, I recommend
using the '^' as the delimiter if MS-SQL allows.

Sqlload defaults to expecting quote-comma- delimited
files. This might load special characters OK, but I'm not sure. For example,
this might not load:
'Tim','O'Riley'
but this probably will:
Tim^O'Riley