[vox] i will never again complain about DSL prices in davis

Samuel Merritt vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 11:10:36 -0700 (PDT)

Michael Wenk said:
> On Thursday 31 July 2003 02:25 pm, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote:
>> Up spake Michael Wenk on Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 02:22:33PM -0700:
>> > You don't really need a static IP.  Just set up a dyndns entry, and
>> > have your linux box run ddclient to update it.  It works rather well
>> > IMO.  Unless you're planning on doing tunnelling, it should work
>> > just peachy.
>>
>> Pardon my ignorance, but will this work for PPPoE, too?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --n twn
>>
>> ***
>> "We are all worms, but I do believe that I am a glow-worm."--Winston
>> Churchill
>> Visit www.nicolopolis.com ... digital drivel for a weary world.
>
> Dynamic DNS is independent of the connection protocol.  Since my system
> is my  gateway, I just tell it to use the external interface to
> determine IP.   However, there are many different ways you can do it,
> so I suspect that it  should be rather easy to get it working...

There is a good list of clients at
<http://www.dyndns.org/services/dyndns/clients.html>. Many of them have a
mode where they ask some machine on the net (from a list, not just some
random box) what IP they're connecting from, and use that as the IP. It's
handy for when you have an ISP-supplied NAT box that you're using.
--
No PGP signature because I'm far from home and sending via webmail.