[vox] libc6

Micah J. Cowan vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:06:06 -0700

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 09:51:23AM -0700, ME wrote:
> Doesn't Darwin offer gcc/g++ and associated libs?

GNU/Darwin does, but IIRC with MacOS X I had to install Apple's
Developer Kit (free, but I think it required registration). It
includes a lot of stuff, but the main things I was interested in was
GCC, both 2.95.* and 3.* series (forget which versions).

Darwin actually has a very intelligent packaging system...

> HURD?

Wouldn't it kinda have to? I mean, wouldn't it defeat the purpose if
it *didn't#?

Of course, "yes" would be a technically incorrect answer for both of
them, since Darwin and HURD are just kernels, not OSses, much like
Linux (but I have no problem calling a "Linux system" a "Linux
system". But then again, I have no problem calling it a "GNU/Linux"
system either. I just don't like RMS insisting on it--GNU and Linux
aren't the only constituents of a typical "GNU/Linux" system by far).

-Micah