[vox] Picnic Day photos

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 03:38:53 -0700

It was quite rainy on Saturday, but Picnic Day seemed to still be pretty
well-attended.

LUGOD got space donated by the CS Club at UC Davis.  We got to set up a table
in Engineering Unit II, Room 1131, where the CS Club had their computer
museum.

I knew there'd be an Atari 8-bit computer there, so I brought my collection
of cartridge games.  (Frankly, while they're fun, they do little to show off
the true power of the architecture. ;^)  Next year, I'll bring some disks
and my 5.25" disk drive.)  I also brought my Atari Lynx handhelds.
(Think Gameboy Advanced SP, but much, much bigger ;^) )  I figured they were
probably technically old enough.

Other interesting units that were there included an Altair, an Apple II
(on which someone ended up writing a working Pong clone!), a nice color
NeXT workstation, and an insane collection of "portable" computers.
(Only one of them looked anything like today's laptops.  Most had mini CRTs,
in fact!)

I made sure to take plenty of photos, though apparently I forgot to take
some shots of the punch cards and giant 5MB cartridge that Kevin Murakoshi
enjoyed showing people.  (Heh - my digital camera has a 16MB memory card
that's about as big as a postage stamp!  Go Moore's Law!)

  http://www.lugod.org/photos/2003.04.12/

Enjoy!

Hopefully next year we can go again.  And hopefully it won't rain.
And hopefully people won't be so distracted by the old computers, and
spend a _little_ more time talking to us. ;^)  (I had fun... I showed all
of the ltitle kids the fun games that are twice as old as they are. :^) )

PS - Thanks to Jonathan Stickel and Michael Wenk for making CDs to give
     away.  You'll be happy to know almost all of them were taken, and
     everyone seemed legitimately interested in them. ;^)

PPS - Our next big event is Whole Earth Festival in May.  We'll need
      volunteers and more discs. :^)  It's a 3-day event!

-bill!
root@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/