[vox] [OT] renters question - 'snooping' landlord

Chris Brick vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 14:16:46 -0700 (PDT)

> is anyone familiar on what the law says about this?  is he allowed to go into our
> backyard unannounced?   on our roof?   in our front yard?

Last time I looked into this the landlord has to give 24 hours notice before
entering the property, regardless of reason.  I seem to remember a google search for
california landlord/tenant law brought up some interesting links.  This was some
years ago so laws may have changed.
> i believe he might have screwed up our phone while on the roof cutting branches.
> our phone has an incredible amount of intermittent static. i'm reluctant to call
> the phone company.  on one hand, we never had this problem before.  on the other
> hand, if the phone company doesn't find a problem, they penalize you with a $50
> fine if the problem exists between the cable pair and your phone.   i'm not sure
> what to do.  i feel like i shouldn't even have had to worry about this since he
> shouldn't have been on our roof in the first place.  i can't afford the $50 right
> now.

You should be able to get them to test the line to their box.  One way to make sure
the problem isn't your inside wiring is to connect a phone at their box and see if
the static persists.  Most modern boxes have an RJ11 jack inside for testing
purposes.
HTH,

Chris