[vox] drew's presentation possibilities

Drew Perttula vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 03 Apr 2003 12:55:32 -0800

(forwarded from an earlier offline discussion)

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> Would either (or both) of you be interested in coming out to Davis to do a
> talk on Linux's use in movie production?  (Or any other topics you'd like :^) )

I'd be happy to come over to Davis. Like your group, I am also busy
until May, but after that I could do a presentation. If Robin wanted to
give me his data, I could probably paraphrase his Linux-in-the-movies
talk. My own presentation for the last few months has been my video
editing system built with all open-source tools (and not the ones you'd
expect). http://cuisine.bigasterisk.com is the project page.

I also build theater lighting control hardware and software
with Linux and Python; I use Zope+Python on Linux at work;
someone posted one of my home automation projects on slashdot
(http://slashdot.org/articles/03/01/11/1832211.shtml?tid=159); and I'm
currently preparing some dynamic video and graphics for a corporate event,
for which I'm using Python, pygame, etc.

Just the editor project alone can fill a few nights- we should figure out
in advance what your audience would most like to hear about: the software
design methodologies? the file format decisions and interfaces? the GUI
design? the Python/C interfacing?

-Drew