[vox] [fwd] [roselug] April 26th Linux Installation/Training/App Class

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 23:36:28 -0800

RoseLUG's putting on a kind of installfest-class-ish thing on April 26th.
Read on...

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Mark Liechty <mlaccs@ix.netcom.com> -----

Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 22:54:45 -0800
From: "Mark Liechty" <mlaccs@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: [roselug] April 26th Linux Installation/Training/App Class
To: <roselug@rosevillelug.org>

OK Guys here is the scoop.

Tonight we agreed that we were going to get together on the 26th and do the
following:

Spend the first 1/2-1 hour reviewing the installation procedures, checklists
and objectives for the day then we get to work.

The objectives look something like this:

A. Installation/Upgrade of your favorite flavor of Linux.  If you do not
have a favorite flavor one will be provided.  The provided flavor for this
class will be Red Hat 9.0   If you don't have media let us know and we will
get a set burned for you.  Cost will be the cost of the blank CD's.  For
those who want to bring their own distros you are certainly welcome as long
as they include open office and the ability to print.  We don't want to get
stalled when we get past the install section.

B. Troubleshooting whatever issues come up during the installs.  This is the
learning part of the process and we will work on the issues as a team and
the person who owns the "problem system" will get to learn what and how we
fix the problem as opposed to us just fixing it for them.

C. In the afternoon we will work on networking and setting up each of the
systems to be able to print (Providing Marc still has a printer available
for our use)  This seems to be an issue for several folk and is a good test
that we have things working.

D. As part of "C" we will  test the basic feature in open office and use the
tools to do "common" MS office functions.  I suspect that at this point we
will have enough "problems" that we are working on that those of us who are
comfortable with applications can assist our peers so everyone gets what
they need from the class.\

E. On a personal note I would like to get familiar with the PDF editor and
writing tools, if anyone knows these and will be there then let me know and
I am looking for your help.

F. If there are any other goals that what I have stated above, let us (the
entire list) know ASAP.  We will have a lot better chance of meeting your
expectations if we know what they are in advance.  If you have an issue with
a specific piece of hardware, bring it along and we will try to make it work
with the understanding that we are all learning this stuff together as we go
along.

If the above matches what the rest of you heard and you plan to show up, let
us all know so we have an idea who will be there.

I'm trusting that someone (Marc or Fred or ???) can take care of turning the
above into marketing stuff and get it distributed to the public as we did
before.

Make sure that the "public" understands that we will be wiping out their
computers and installing Linux and that we will not be doing data backup and
once we start their systems will not be recoverable.  While dual-booting may
be an option we still need to have a disclaimer in case it fails and blows
out the data.  I don't know about you guys but I don't want to turn a day of
good deeds into a week in court when we get blamed for "bad".

If any of the above does not make sense, let me know.  I was up at 5AM this
morning and am getting a bit tired but I wanted to get this to everyone
ASAP.

FYI:  It seems that at tonight's meeting at least 1/2 of us were
"underemployed"  this is a great opportunity to strengthen your professional
contacts as well as improve your skill set without spending a lot of money.
I would certainly expect to see all of you.  As for the other half, what
better way to find out who has the skills you may need to hire as time goes
on and you find you need help.  Add in the general public who may come and
find that your personality matches a project they need to have done at some
point in the future.  If you are not there you will never know what you
missed.

Mark Liechty MCSE,CCA,CNE
mark@mlaccs.com
Office 916-434-9593