[vox-tech] Wiping Hard Drive

Timothy D Thatcher daniel.thatcher at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 12:22:46 PST 2024

Hi Bob,

I generally agree with Bill K, though I haven't used that software he
mentions particularly; you'll want to _not_ boot off the drive you want to
wipe to be sure you catch all the data. Otherwise you risk chugging along
with the wipe until you hit something critical in the filesystem at some
unknown point, and the system will destabilize/crash before the dd is
finished.You could be left with a) a drive you can't boot and b) no idea
how much of your data is actually left on there that could potentially be
recovered by the next person.

I'd suggest using a live boot USB/CD/etc of some sort, or swap the drive
into another machine, or pull it and use a USB-SATA adapter on another
machine, something like that.

You may also check out the "shred" command, which is probably already
installed by default, or "wipe", which is probably not (but should be in
your distro's regular repos.)

-Tim