[vox-tech] Floppy drive with Linux Mint LMDE 2 MATE

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Aug 2 14:49:23 PDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 01:47:04PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. But never mind, it works with some diskettes but
> not others. Evidently some floppies do not last 27 years... who knew. :)

Ironically, floppies made longer ago seem to last longer.
Floppies (mostly 3.5") seem to have been made more cheaply / lest robust.

Coupla years ago I went through all my 5.25" Atari disks (from 1986 thru
let's say 1998), and only _one_ failed to read.  (It worked at first,
but failed later, when I actually went to copy stuff.  RIP, little bits.)