[vox-tech] any OTR preferences?

T. Mark techmark at tutanota.de
Wed Nov 30 17:33:26 PST 2016

  I've got a couple of Keybase.io "invites" laying around, & never got around to offering them at a social gathering or such, so I'll offer them here.  This raises the technical question I have though, which I'm sure some of the many sharp people on this list might have thoughts about:
  Does anyone have a take on trustworthiness of Keybase?  Also would like analyses of Signal (which I just heard deemed inadvisable--  damned if I can remember where, all the sudden, but I found this https://sandervenema.ch/2016/11/why-i-wont-recommend-signal-anymore  which among other things mentions that there's a non-OpenSource part to it, which gets in the way of what else I want to ask everyone: "HAVE YOU perused the source code on these??"  And I could swear I used to see Signal recommended in the twitter bio-blurb of either @csoghoian (ACLU genius) or @ggreenwald  on Twitter  -- but now they're back to mentioning only PGP.  So much for that fad I guess.. what does appear new is wire.com -- now with in-browser functionality (but only the client sees my microphone in the Linux distro I'm running) ..  this is ballyhooed due to it being hosted in Switzerland which boasts the best privacy laws on-planet, they say.  What it is: the trustworthy alternative to Goog Hangouts, I'm hoping!  Conferencing audio/video (not sure about max participants on a call) over secure protocol.  So if anyone has auditing chops or knows of audits/viewpoints regarding any of these, do tell.

btw, I myself haven't been using Keybase much since signing up..  I was using its copy/paste-codeblobs-into-your-CLI option for awhile until trying its installable client..  the latter of which was even a bit scarier given that it installed a line in .bashrc, thus firing it up on every boot-- & it's like its own fuse-fs which creates major load.  Did this without asking, so I commented out that line pretty quickly.

--
https://twitter.com/linuxusergroup