[vox-tech] Change to vox-tech list moderation

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jun 25 22:07:33 PDT 2016

Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs at sonic.net):

> I did not bother having posts held ("HOLD" option, vs "DISCARD"), since it
> was a very rare occurrence.  These days, since the mailing list volume is
> extremely low (but the spammers still try sending messages to the list
> address), almost ALL discarded messages are junk, and it's kind of mind
> numbing and tedious (and a waste of my time) to have to go through them,
> _just in case_ someone posted from a bad address.

A different approach is to let the held spam expire out.  On General
Options, item 'Discard held messages older than this number of days. Use
0 for no automatic discarding' has a Mailman-default value of 0, i.e.,
hold forever -- which I consider crazy.  Typically, I set that to '3' so
I'm likely to catch held non-spam even over a three-day holiday weekend.

As I also get notices of individual held spams ('Should the list
moderators get immediate notice of new requests, as well as daily
notices about collected ones?' on General Options set to 'yes' instead
of 'no'), even _if_ I accidentally let a non-spam expire out of queue
and realise that on (say) day 4, I still have the full message text and
can bounce it to the list then.

I mention all of the above because I keep finding Mailman admins doing
'mind numbing and tedious' manual clearing of queues, unaware that
automatic expiry would do this work for them without any of that hassle.