[vox-tech] Fwd: help on Linux Mint 17.3 cinnamon?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Feb 3 15:31:51 PST 2016

Dave here emailed me directly at the root@ address, and I offered
to pass his question along to vox-tech list, to see if someone
here might be willing to lend a hand:

Dave here in Citrus Heights. Hoping for help on using 64gb usb drive
for Linux tasks; and original hard drive C Windows 8 for other
tasks. (I visit Davis every 60 days or so, in case help is available.)

I'm a new user of Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon; it runs fine on HP laptop
on 16gb bootable usb drive with 4 gb persistence file (in bios, boot
order is usb diskette first; secure boot is disabled).

I have failed in the following tasks:

* on a Mint bootable 64 gb usb drive with 4 gb persistence file:
failed in attempts with gparted app. to revise persistence upward to
tap unallocated space of around 58 gb.

* today, using 16gb bootable Mint usb drive, tried "full install" onto
64 gb usb drive (no persistence file). It said installation completed;
I powered off, and tried re-boot, but 64 gb usb will not boot Mint (it
seems to look for usb drive, but boots to Windows 8).

****

* also, if time allows, would like to work on Mint 16gb bootable usb
drive to revise persistence upward to tap unallocated space.

*****

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my computer