[vox-tech] [Lug-nuts] Linux Mint 17 without monitor

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Tue Sep 1 22:07:00 PDT 2015

On 09/01/2015 06:42 PM, Darth Borehd wrote:
> I'm not sure how to actually implement this.

This is a rather odd question.

Mint is basically ubuntu with a unity replacement.  If you aren't going
to use the UI I wouldn't really recommend mint.  For such purposes I'd
just use ubuntu or debian for that matter.  After all most packages on a
mint box are actually ubuntu packages from an ubuntu repo.

You'll save disk, CPU, and ram avoiding running a full UI, xserver,
widgets, dbus, etc.

With all of that said, you could just configure mint to not run a login
manager/X11, then ssh in and run screen.

Inside screen:
$ java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

That way you can watch the logs and can still issue commands to kick,
ban, start, stop, change modes, etc.