[vox-tech] Nursing home wi-fi mystery

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Wed May 6 11:44:05 PDT 2015

On 05/06/2015 11:39 AM, Chris Jenks wrote:
>   I've seen this sort of problem a lot of places, even at CalEPA where
> I work. I don't know why this happens, and it can waste a lot of time.
> I programmed my own Linksys routers with OpenWRT so they aren't
> representative, but I found that they would sometimes go offline when
> traffic was heavy and require manual reboot. So I wonder if whether
> your wifi router is rebooting could be tested by seeing if two
> connections to it would be lost at the same time?

That's an interesting idea, thanks.  In the meantime I'm rummaging
through syslog to find out what AP MAC addresses the wlan0 interface has
been authenticating with.  Seems the last authentication timed out and
it then authenticated with a different one.  If that sticks it will be a
pretty good clue that the first AP is bad.

By the way I figured out how to get a ssh reverse tunnel going so I can
keep tabs on it from home.  :)