[vox-tech] some people can't send to list

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 21 20:19:32 PDT 2015

Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs at sonic.net):

> Brian came over, I did the song & dance to gain access to the
> account at domaindiscover aka tierra.net, and we fiddled with things.
>
> How's it looking now?

Would you consider posting the new zonefile so it can be seen in its
entirety?  Understandably, the authoritative nameservers don't permit
random members of the public to pull those down.

$ dig -t axfr lugod.org @NS1.TIERRA.NET
; Transfer failed.
$ dig -t axfr lugod.org @NS2.TIERRA.NET
; Transfer failed.
$

One fine point:  RFC 2182's recommendation is minimum three, maximum
seven authoritative nameservers.  Two is disrecommended as too thin.

The choice of two only might be dictated by your chosen hosting
provider, which doesn't make this error any smarter, but does make it
more difficult to overcome.  (Shortchanging redundancy is sadly common
among ISPs.)

Personally, I use mutual nameservice with other technical people -- and
I do follow my own advice, too:

$ whois linuxmafia.com | grep '^Name Server: ' | wc -l
5
$