[vox-tech] Hosting a email server at home but port 25 is blocked, what do I do?

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Tue Jun 30 21:48:01 PDT 2015

On 06/30/2015 06:40 AM, Lance Geroso wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So I have never ever ran a email server before but I do have a domain
> ready and an I'm willing to learn how. I was researching just how when I
> learned Comcast blocks SMTP 25 (yay Comcast /sarcasm). So I've come down
> to three options, use a VPN provider, use a VPS, or use a VPS but just
> tunnel through it to send email. I'm wondering which of these three
> would be the best security and privacy wise. I'm also wondering if I go
> the VPS route should I be trusting any of the providers on LowEndBox?
> I'm not looking to spend more than 10 bucks on this a month. (The
> cheaper the better for my budget)  Any ideas where to go on this?

I'd go with one of the VPS providers mentioned on this thread, I've
heard good things about all of them.

Comcast isn't going to do reverse DNS for you and without it your spam
scores and failed deliveries will be higher.  So I'd look for reverse
DNS for whatever VPS you get.  I'd also get IPv6, while not super
popular today (about 20% of traffic in the USA) it's growing quickly.

If you want to minimize costs you might be able to find some like minded
folks to share with.  Seems like there's a fair bit of interest in
having complete control over your email and nod using a "free service"
that profiles you so they can target you with ads.  Or maybe some
non-technical folks are willing pitch in $1 a month to share your mail
server.

Speaking of which:
http://geekandpoke.typepad.com/geekandpoke/2010/12/the-free-model.html