[vox-tech] Synaptics driver problem on Lenovo Thinkpad e455

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Jun 25 18:12:24 PDT 2015

I dont have the laptop in front of me, but over on:

  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_Thinkpad_Edge_E455

I see:

  ClickPad
  The clickpad that is used is from Alps. Specifically, it uses Alps
  protocol 8 which has initial support in kernel 4.1. While basic
  functionality works with kernels less than 4.1, there may be issues
  that occur with use in kernel less than 4.1.

  For more advance features such as Vertical Edge Scrolling, see
  Touchpad Synaptics. An interesting quirk that occurs is that in order
  to be able to use Vertical, or Horizontal, Edge Scrolling you have to
  enable Two Finger Scrolling. Setting only the Edge Scrolling option in
  xorg doesn't enable it.

And:

  http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201407-15368/

lists:

  Unknown SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad

Trying to remember 2 months ago, I recall being able to either
disable the whole PS/2 mouse system (which disabled the TrackPoint, too),
or enable everything.  No way of using _just_ the TrackPoint.

I'll dig around more, hopefully soon, and post what I find.
Thanks!

-bill!

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 06:54:47AM -0700, Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 01:21:17AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> >
> > My wife just picked up a used Thinkpad e455 laptop and it's
> > working fairly well with Kubuntu 14.04 (trusty).
> >
> > One big problem is: we're unable to get KDE to disable the
> > touchpad while she types (or, like, at all).  The KDE
> > control center's "Touchpad" module complains that the
> > Synpatics driver is not loaded.
> >
> > I've dug around the web, hitting a lot of 2008 & 2009 threads
> > mostly, to no avail.  Has anyone got any experience with this
> > kind of trouble on a _recent_ version of Linux?  I'm done
> > stabbing in the dark, using recommended tips that are probably
> > useless nowadays.
> >
> > The main issue is an inability to type on the thing, w/o the
> > mouse flying all over the screen.  (There are all sorts of
> > great settings to disable touchpad when typing, or when it
> > detects a palm vs. fingers... none of which are available to
> > us until we figure out this driver problem.)
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> Does lsmod say any synaptics kernel modules are already loaded?
> Assuming it is referring to the kernel module and not some
> separate X Windows driver, it might help to load one of
> synaptics_usb or synaptics_i2c, maybe before X starts? The usual
> place to put kernel modules to be loaded for no apparent reason
> is /etc/modules. Once it does load, dmesg might have helpful
> information about how the module is detecting the touchpad.
> -Nick

Sent from my computer