[vox-tech] Email

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jul 12 20:06:14 PDT 2015

Quoting Richard Harke (paleopenguin at gmail.com):

> Rod's link included the suggestion to make the conversion on the old
> machine which I'm going to try as kmail is still working there.

It's good that KMail is still working there, but you will need to
consider what you're going to _do_ with KMail and its message store
files.

The page Rod cited (a good page that, FYI, gives a lot of the same
advice I've given you, including the recommendation of using
Thunderbird's Import/Export Tools extension, and addresses quite a lot
of other situations, besides) is necessarily a bit vague about KMail --
because different versions of KMail have, as I said, used diverse
message store file formats.  (The page says Kmail uses a compatible
version of the mboxrd flavour of mbox, which is true, but it also has
used other data store formats over time.) The version you were using
might have used mbox file format, which would have been convenient, but
also might have used something else.  Irrespective of the file format,
KMail can doubtless _export_ to mbox format, which would also be useful.

You'd have gotten a more exact answer sooner if you'd revealed what file
format your version of KMail used -- or at least the version number of
KMail.  You've not provided either.