[vox-tech] mmap()

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Oct 22 18:36:18 PDT 2013

On 10/22/2013 06:21 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 10/22/2013 03:45 PM, Norm Matloff wrote:
>> Anyone here know much about mmap()?  I have following problem:
>>
>> Machines A and B, running Fedora, share files through NFS.  I use mmap()
>> to create a file-backed array on A and B, shared via the common file
>> system.  I want changes to the array at A to propagate to B and vice
>> versa.
>>
>> I can't get this to work consistently, even using msync() (synchronous
>> or asynchronous).
>>
>> This is for general use software, so using a "better" shared file system
>> than NFS is not really an option.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Norm Matloff
>>

> I'm using glusterFS mounted via a Fuse module. It can be arranged per
> mount/disk/node into all sorts of configurations to ensure the amount of
> mirroring you want, and supports normal posix persmissions and acl.
> I've only tried running it over local networks on the same switch (ie
> same rack).
>
> Thank,
> Alex

I should probably note, it works fine with all regulare software, there
is nothing special unlike my other setup that's hadoop which is all
sorts of special.

Specific to Norm, my users are running fortran, R, python and other
operations on a shared 5+TB drive (2x3 TB per 2 nodes), where the nodes
mirror each other. Mounting is redundant so if either system is up the
files are accessible and if for some reason I need direct access to
recover the files, they are directly readable from the system they are on.

Thanks,
Alex