[vox-tech] How many people run their own mail server?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 17 14:29:04 PDT 2013

Quoting Brian Lavender (brian at brie.com):

> Sometimes I want to see how an
> html email renders in a browser other than lynx....

Easy enough.

1.  Save to a file in ~/public_html
2a.  Load in Web browser, or
2b.  scp it to your location, load in local MUA.

I believe Joey Hess syncs his mail between his MTA mail spool and
wherever he is at the moment using rsync.

> ...and I also would like to view emails on my phone.

I find smartphones awfully limiting.  From a tablet or better, one can
reasonably just ssh to one's server, which is what I personally do.
(Of course, there are ssh clients for smartphones, but that's a bit
miserable on such a tiny screen.)

> The following is from the /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf
>
>    When mbox changes unexpectedly we have to fully read it to find out
>    what changed. If the mbox is large this can take a long time.

Note that by just reading/writing the MTA mail spool from a
locally-running MUA, I avoid these entire categories of problem.