[vox-tech] How many people run their own mail server?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 17 13:30:55 PDT 2013

Quoting Tony Cratz (cratz at hematite.com):

> 	I also use Dovecot with IMAP and mbox. You *do not* need to use
> 	maildir with IMAP.

Me, I just ssh direcctly to the MTA box where my mail spool is:  mutt
runs there 24x7 under a 'screen' session.  Who needs IMAP?  I just read
and write /var/spool/mail/rick with my MUA directly.

See, one of the advantages of being in complete control of my Internet
presence is that I can say 'no' to pointlessly baroque engineering.

No, that does not give me detached mail.  However, ssh works from
anywhere in the world that has even small amounts of bandwidth flow.
And I never have the problem of waiting to sync up over IMAP, nor the
problem of a piece of mail existing only on the work box when I'm at
home, or the home box when I'm at work.