[vox-tech] How many people run their own mail server?

Chris Jenks chris at jenks.us
Thu Oct 17 09:28:07 PDT 2013

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013, Alex Mandel wrote:

> On 10/16/2013 05:33 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
>> Quoting Alex Mandel (tech_dev at wildintellect.com):
>>
>>> I had though about rolling my own mail service, and I do host my own
>>> website from home (dynamic ip forwarding). But decided I'd rather
>>> outsource my email so that it's working even if my network is down, or
>>> power at my house it out etc.
>>
>> The lazy man's way of dealing with that problem is to be prepared to put
>> your server in a car and temporarily move it to a static IP anywhere else
>> in the world to bridge any protracted outage.  (Just repoint to the new
>> IP in DNS, and you're back.[1])  Ideally, with optimal preparation, you
>> also have a spare hard drive on a shelf preloaded with an MTA
>> configuration, in case of hardware failure.
>>

> I only pay less than $20/year for 5 boxes (several GB each) with webmail
> access and imap. The bus number is greater than 1, especially when I'm
> travelling and relying on email for certain things. If the network went
> out, or hardware failed in some way, I'd be down for the rest of the trip.
>
> It would cost me more than that just to get a static IP or a vps.

   Cost is a major incentive to me too. Even from the other side of the
world I pay for the DSL in my rented-out house so I can keep my boxes
live. I have a mail server because I like control over my data, but the
important thing is the web servers. I can't afford colocation, but I can
afford a few P-III motherboards lying boxless in my basement.