[vox-tech] Package file invalid error when installing android apps

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Sun Mar 31 21:02:08 PDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 03:15:46PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 03/31/2013 01:46 PM, Brian Lavender wrote:

> >> This phone has Google Market. Previously, when I reset the phone, it auto upgraded
> >> to Google Play. It has not yet auto upgraded. Yet, I did give it my Google account
> >> and when I log into Google Play website, I can see that it detected the phone.
> >>
> >> I just tried "adb shell" and I can't even get a shell on the device. Usually, the shell
> >> will work.
> >>
> >> It looks like other problems as well. I turned on usb debugging and I
> >> have used adb before, so I am pretty sure I am using adb correctly. Below
> >> is the output I get:
> >>
> >> [brian at localhost indulge.aio.v1.00]$ sudo ./adb shell
> >> * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
> >> * daemon started successfully *
> >> error: device not found
> >
> > After playing a bit, I got adb shell working. So, I tried installing
> > Roadkill and it worked. I ran the application and played with it a
> > bit. Below is the output:
> >
> > [brian at localhost indulge_root]$ ./adb install roadkill-latest.apk
> > 177 KB/s (136028 bytes in 0.750s)
> > 	pkg: /data/local/tmp/roadkill-latest.apk
> > Success
> >
> > I did notice some oddities when I tried doing an lsusb. It seems that
> > my phone would not appear in the list of devices. After connecting and
> > disconnecting a few times and turning on and off the debugging settings
> > and storage settings, the phone connected with "adb shell".
> >
> > I was able to install a few other apps now from the "Android Market". Yet,
> > if I try to install Firefox it still says "Package file is invalid".
> >

> > brian
> >

> Are you positive that Firefox packages available are compatible with
> your version of Android. Usually if you browse on the Play website with
> your computer, logged in so it knows your phone, it will tell you when
> you try to select an app.

99% sure.

> FYI, you know you can trigger an app download from the web as long as
> you use the same account for the phone.

I have two phones registered to this account. I gave one an alias as was
recommended. When I select Firefox, it says it is compatible with my phone.
Yet when I try to tell Google play to download it to the phone, it doesn't
automatically do it like it has done in the past.

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

Professor C. A. R. Hoare