[vox-tech] File Transfers slowing over time

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jul 23 20:33:08 PDT 2013

Can someone explain why a large file transfer might slow over time
between 2 machines on the same switch, or even over a local network.

My coworkers and I have experienced this independently with Windows
Copy, SCP, SFTP.

Example, a file transfer starts at 40 M/s but eventually ends up in the
1-5 M/s speed range. Though I did trick it into parallel with lftp and
managed to get a sustained 16 M/s (2-3 simultaneous connections).

My only suspicion right now is encryption (maybe disk speed?), but I'm
looking for ideas of things to explore to ensure better QoS. If you
didn't pick up on it, this isn't a home network, it's university, and
everything is Gigabit wired. File sizes are in the 1-200 GB range.

Thanks,
Alex