[vox-tech] apt-get -f install fails to work

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Aug 6 19:00:26 PDT 2013

Quoting Hai Yi (yihai2004 at gmail.com):

> thanks but nope, tried those 3 commands - it didn't work.

I strongly recommend quoting the entire relevant portion of your
command sessions when seeking help like this, including the command
prompts and return text.  You can use /usr/bin/script to log the
session, if that helps.

Reason:  Otherwise, we are left guessing on many key details, including
even whether you are using root for privileged operations, or are
attempting to use only regular user authority.  Being able to see your
verbatim shell session can help avoid wasted time for both you and your
aspiring helpers.

Any time you find yourself being tempted to say only 'it didn't work'
when seeking technical help, odds are you really need to find a way to
be a lot more specific.  It's in your interest, seriously.