[vox-tech] ASUS webcam

Richard Harke paleopenguin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 16:53:48 PDT 2012

I have an ASUS laptop (N82J), with which I am mostly pretty happy. Recently
I decide I would like to use the built-in webcam. Apparently ASUS makes it
a practice to install the camera upside down. Searching the internet I have
found two potential solutions. One is to patch the driver, uvc_video.ko.
The other involves pre-loading libv4l/v4l1compat.so.
I have studied the patch carefully and it does reorder the lines of the
video buffer but the image displayed is still upside down. I'm using cheese
to test this.
To be honest, I don't really understand the other method as the
applications using the webcam don't link v4l1compat.so But in any case it
doesn't work for all applications.
For google talk I tried the suggestion to preload the .so and the google
plugin in the background before starting chrome. Well, google talk still
worked but the image was still upside down.

I am perplexed and short of ideas. And I don't think holding the laptop
upside down will work.

Richard Harke