[vox-tech] Cloning LVM volume over network

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Jun 3 09:34:37 PDT 2012

On 06/03/2012 08:31 AM, timriley at appahost.com wrote:
> [...]

I did get the suggestion to boot clonezilla in inside both virtual
machines and copy. That sounds like a good idea but for some reason
didn't work out because the desination Host machine locked up and
required a physical reboot. No idea why.

What I did find that was somewhat efficient and worked was using
qemu-img convert -c -f raw -O qcow2 /dev/kvm01/guest1 guest1.qcow2
which made a compressed sparse qcow2 file. So 2 GB of data in a 100 GB
lvm volume became a 1.3 GB qcow2 file in about 20 minutes. Took 2
minutes to copy over to my second host and about 20 minutes to extract
again. The + is I have a backup of the copy now too and it's small.

It did appear pipe possible but I didn't want to risk messing up such
syntax.

Thanks,
Alex