[vox-tech] Cheap laptop

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jul 13 08:26:06 PDT 2012

On 07/13/2012 07:23 AM, Wes Hardaker wrote:
> Richard Harke <paleopenguin at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Old is not important. Cheap is. Obviously, with the cheapest new machines
>> running around $250,
>> I would want to beat that by a good margin. Need to have a working  network
>> interface, wired or Wi-Fi
>> supported by linux.
>
> Looks like a pretty nice one for $400 on woot today.  I haven't looked
> into it's linux compatibility though.

I got my parents a new Lenovo with iCore3 for $379 last month. Runs
Ubuntu perfectly (Webcam works out of the box)

So we're talking about a machine to run a web browser and not much else?
I know of a few friends (including myself) that have circa 2002-2003
Celeron/amd machines lying around if you're interested in something like
that. They were running Ubuntu probably up until 2008-2009, no idea how
well they would handle the newer releases.

Thanks,
Alex