[vox-tech] Bash completion mystery

Chris Jenks chris at jenks.us
Fri Feb 24 13:05:26 PST 2012

   Dear Bruce,

   I expect that your question has been satisfied already, but one general
fast strategy I use to find files (though I expect there are others as
fast) is to create a text file of my full file system by executing:

sudo find > dir.txt

   in my root directory (/) from a command shell. This creates a text file
with all the files in my file system (of the main system drive), at least
as of that time, and I can then use grep to locate file names without
having to actually search the entire system, which would take much longer.
I like this strategy because of its simplicity and availability from the
command line, which I use often.

   Yours,

     Chris