[vox-tech] frustrating laptop problem

Chris Jenks chris at jenks.us
Tue Dec 18 19:11:16 PST 2012

   The acer one has been my main conputer for several years now, as
workstations and servers, always dual boot with ubuntu, originally with
remix while that was available and now switching manually to gnome
classic. The last one I had (model A1001?), the touchpad strangely stopped
working, on 10.04 I think, though I knew the hardware was fine since the
touchpad worked fine in windows. So I had to deal with an external mouse
for a year or so. When 12.04 came out I did a fresh install, and the
touchpad worked fine. After giving that away a few weeks ago I got a
replacement yesterday, the D257-1497, and 12.10 works great on it so far.
So I recommend trying 12.10 on yours - you can always try the live DVD or
bootable USB thumb drive to see if everything will work. I never did
figure out why the trackpad stopped working, I assume a bad X11 config.