[vox-tech] init scripts on Debian problems with upgrade

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 11:22:35 PDT 2012

Make sure that you've upgraded to the most recent version of these packages
(if the packages still exist) -- some of the packages may have sprouted
version numbers that you'll have to track down. Purge any of the
responsible packages that remain after that (e.g. xfree86-common is
probably totally obsolete, if it hasn't been replaced by some other
package, then there's probably no replacement for this package that's
necessary.)

Just to check: Debian has an wonderful ability to upgrade machines from
release to release and get everything to happen correctly, even when you
start at hamm, but you have to make sure to hit the intermediate stable
releases (and to read the release notes about how to upgrade for each
release). Are you sure you didn't skip any intermediate stable releases
between whatever your machine was running and squeeze? You don't have to
hit every maintenance release, but you do need to hit every release that
was big enough to have its own code name.