[vox-tech] netcdf installation problems

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Wed Sep 14 01:02:19 PDT 2011

On 09/12/2011 11:27 PM, Jason Snyder wrote:
> I tried doing this and it says netcdf is already on my computer but I cannot

A cut and paste is handy for this.  I can't guess what you did wrong
without knowing what you did.

Did you run updatedb and locate to try to find it?  Or maybe:
$ find /usr -name 'libnetcdf*'?

> locate it and also I am not getting the lib and include directories like I
> need for running WRF model.

What packages did you install?

Typically it's the -dev package that has the include files.  So I'd
recommend something along the lines of:
$ sudo aptitude install netcdf-bin libnetcdf-dev

When you tried to build it, you didn't say sudo before the make install,
so it failed trying to rm files under /usr/local.

Unfortunately I have to say WRF is a real pain to build, it has poor
documentation, and an even poorer build system.

Good luck.