[vox-tech] bibtex: get rid of ISSN, URL, DOI, etc from references

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 16:58:35 PDT 2011

A bit of conceptual history, before I answer the question.

The very first system in LaTeX for typesetting bibliographies was the
thebibliography environment. It didn't do anything special for typesetting
-- it was just a glorified list environment. You had to format your
bibliography entries and select the ones you wanted yourself. I mention this
environment because it underlies the other latex bibliography systems in use
today.

Bibtex was the first system to automatically select which bibliography
entries to include and format them from a database. In Bibtex, you store
your citations in a .bib file which defines the logical structure of each
entry. When you compile a LaTeX file with Bibtex citations, something needs
to determine entries from the .bib file are needed and how to format the.
This something is the bibtex binary. After the first pass of compiling your
.tex tile, the bibtex binary looks at the .aux file to determine which
citations are needed, and uses instructions in a .BST bibliography style
file to determine what they're supposed to look like on the page. The result
is a .bbl file that contains a thebibliography environment which will be
typeset in your final  LaTeX output.

Natbib is a LaTeX package that works with bibtex to give you more options
about what the citation keys in your text look like. It requires style files
that are compatbile with Natbib (to make a little more information available
to the \cite command), but fundementally it's still the bibtex binary and
the BST style file that format the bibliography entries.

BibLaTeX is an almost complete replacement for BibTeX. It still uses the
.bib file to store information about bibliography entries, but it eliminates
the BST file completely, and moves the work of formatting the .bib entries
into a LaTeX .sty package. This allows one to pass options to the biblatex
package that affect the way bibliography entries are formatted.

In BibTeX (with or without natbib), one changes the way bibliography entries
are formatted by using a different BST file. You can either find an existing
one that fits your needs, or you can edit an existing one to meet your needs
(this might difficult -- the langauge for programming BST files is a pretty
complicated stack-based language -- but I think that this kind of
modification is actually pretty easy once you look inside a BST file), or
you can use makebst generates a new BST file for you by asking lots of
questions about what you want your bibliography to look like.

BibLaTeX is totally different an none of the answers to the
tex.stackexchange question will help you with BibTeX (whether you're using
natbib or not).