[vox-tech] windows-linux connection

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Wed Nov 30 11:13:02 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 10:40:51AM -0800, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 29, 2011, Alex Mandel wrote:
> > On 11/29/2011 03:18 PM, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a windoze computer and linux box sitting next to each other on
> > > my desk. One is a government computer, locked-down and on a secured
> > > network, the other on a DSL connection to the internet. I can get the
> > > windows computer to talk to the linux box over the internet, but it is
> > > far too slow for most things. The windows computer does have a
> > > wireless card, that can connect to any access point.
> > >
> > > I can live with semi-slow SSH access, however, I have large files to
> > > move around. Are there any ways to connect these machines via USB for
> > > file-transfers? Any other ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Dylan
> >

> > What about a read/write samba share on the Linux box. If they are both
> > on the same access point the windows box would probably be able to see
> > it, you can even fake add the Linux box to the same domain and use the
> > same user in the samba config.
> >
> > Otherwise if the data isn't super sensitive - dropbox? webdav running on
> > the linux box? and last filezilla running on an usb stick on the windows
> > machine (if you can't install it).
> >
> > Enjoy,
> > Alex
> >

> Yeah... the problem is that they are not on the same network, and can't really
> be on the same network per policy... unless I can get them both on a third,
> ad-hoc wireless network.

Get one of the tiny bluetooth usb adapters and stick it in that
desktop. Get a second one for your laptop. I bet Winblows will fire it
right up. Then, in your Ubuntu, right click the file and send it to the
other device. On Winblows, you may have to make the bluetooth visible. You
can do networking over bluetooth, but I have yet to do it.

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/