[vox-tech] windows-linux connection

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Nov 29 15:33:33 PST 2011

On 11/29/2011 03:18 PM, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a windoze computer and linux box sitting next to each other on
> my desk. One is a government computer, locked-down and on a secured
> network, the other on a DSL connection to the internet. I can get the
> windows computer to talk to the linux box over the internet, but it is
> far too slow for most things. The windows computer does have a
> wireless card, that can connect to any access point.
>
> I can live with semi-slow SSH access, however, I have large files to
> move around. Are there any ways to connect these machines via USB for
> file-transfers? Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks!
> Dylan

What about a read/write samba share on the Linux box. If they are both
on the same access point the windows box would probably be able to see
it, you can even fake add the Linux box to the same domain and use the
same user in the samba config.

Otherwise if the data isn't super sensitive - dropbox? webdav running on
the linux box? and last filezilla running on an usb stick on the windows
machine (if you can't install it).

Enjoy,
Alex