[vox-tech] Do Apt GUI's Clean?

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Thu Mar 24 21:33:06 PDT 2011

There have been GUI's for apt such as Adept, Synaptic, and now there
are "update managers."  I haven't used them very much.  I use aptitude.
Aptitude and Apt-Get have the "clean" and "autoclean" commands.

While I have not seen autoclean do much for the last couple of years, clean
really makes room.  After a recent install my system went from being 38% full
to being 30% full after executing clean.

Do the apt GUI's have a clean feature?  If not, it would seem to me that those
who use them should occasionally use the command line to clean their systems.
Is that right?

On I side note, some years ago Karsten Self did some posts here on why
aptitude was better than apt.  I notice that aptitude does not come on the
initial installs of the most recent version of Ubuntu and Kabuntu.  You have
to use apt-get to get aptitude.  I thought this strange.

Thank you.

Bob