[vox-tech] Filename suffix dependent deletion problem with Samba

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 20 00:58:48 PDT 2011

Quoting Peter Salzman (p at dirac.org):

> It appears that Samba refuses to delete files with certain types of
> extensions, but I can't find any mention of suffix-dependent
> permissions in Samba, so something else must be happening that *looks
> like* suffix dependent permissions.

Just an idea based on attempting to Web-search your problem:

Try (temporarily) setting 'log level = 10' in smb.conf and restart the
daemons.  Then, re-try the deletion operation.  Then, examine your
logfiles to see what clues emerge about the root cause.

I stress 'temporarily' because log level 10 chews up disk space at an
impressive clip.

(Disclaimer:  Haven't had occasion to admin Samba since 1999, so the above
is all I'm likely to usefully offer.)

--
Rick Moen            Vila:  "Why don't you go?" Avon:  "_You_ are expendable."
rick at linuxmafia.com  Vila:  "And you're not?"   Avon:  "No, I am not.