[vox-tech] crontab and scp puzzle

Kyle Ambroff kyle at ambroff.com
Wed Mar 16 17:06:40 PDT 2011

I know I've used this answer before on this list, and I'm sure it's
annoying, but if your solution involves passphraseless ssh keys, you're
doing it wrong.

That being said, since cron is a daemon, it is not attached to a controlling
terminal. That means that a script that expects to be able to read input
from the user is going to fail. You can probably force it to bypass this
code with BatchMode.

    ssh -o BatchMode=yes ...

For good measure, you could even set TERM if it's not being set.

    env TERM=dumb ssh -o BatchMode=yes ...